By Zibbey

I heard about a crocus called 'Night Crocus' and that by dipping or rubbing the root of a new plant shoot in or on the night crocus bulb, the plant of the new shoot grows several times larger. (I hope I said all of that correctly) Have you heard about the 'Night Crocus' and using the bulb to enhance new plant growth?

On plant Crocus

Sorry 'no'

Sorry, Zibbey, but that all sound very 'internet myth' to me!

Thanks anyway. When I first heard about Night Crocus I wondered if it was one of the plants I read about that seem to sort of glow or shine in the evening or moon light and wondered how it was different from the other 'regular' crocuses I have... Thanks again.

Sounds a bit like the "Twilight Zone" to me, Zibbey. I haven't heard of it either, but you never know.........

More likely Autumn Crocus (Colchicum autumnale), Zibbey. It contains a chemical that interferes with cell division in such a way that cuttings or seeds treated with a tincture of it often develop growth that has twice the normal number of chromosomes. Usually, that results in a larger, "heftier" plant, but, in some species, the the opposite can occur.

The depth of your knowledge never ceases to amaze me, Tug.

Colchicine is the chemical obtained from colchicum bulbs. It has the effect of doubling the number of chromosomes in plants. It is used to make fertile plants.

Gattina, thank you, but in this case it's just a few odds and ends picked up as a plant breeder "wannabe".
Owdboggy, it can be used that way, mostly to make fertile "artificial species" out of sterile hybrids between two species--something that sometimes occurs in nature without colchicine. Some daffodil and tulip hybrids are the result of the use of colchicine, but most modern breeders use nitrous oxide for that now.

Laughing gas? Whoever discovered that laughing gas could be used in the breeding of daffodils? It must be a fun industry! :o)))))

• A welcome sight...:o) (Crocus)
  •  Crocus 'Pickwick' (Crocus)
  • Crocus tommasinianus 'Ruby Giant' (Crocus tommasinianus (Crocus))
  • Crocus 'Blue Pearl' (Crocus)