Bougainvillea

Botswana Bw

could I grow a Bougainvillea in the uk? I have a sheltered south facing garden in herts.

Answers

Well, the best thing is to go to your local nursery and see if they sell them. If so, you bet you can grow them in your region too. I've seen them in France and Switzerland, where it can be cold in winter too. I think they could be dormant in winter, so then you would be quite safe. It is a woody plant when established, the new shoots are soft. But......be prepared for the lethal thorns. They really are terrible! I have pricked my fingers many times on them and it is no joke. Always wear leather gloves. You do know that they have a trailing and crawling and creeping habit and if you have planted them near other trees, they sure are going to invade them. Prune them heavily, so they won't go wandering in your precious trees. Good luck.

They are only hardy down to 0 degrees for a short while - so any long periods of frost and it's a goner! I think that some people grow them in conservatories over here.

I have a bourgainvillae growing indoors, I also live in a south facing house in Herts. I don't think it will tolerate the frost. Mine has trebled in size in a year and is very happy, but refuses to flower. Can anyone tell me why? I read somewhere it is becasue it likes to be rootbound is that right. Also don't water until completely dry and then give it a good drink or the leaves will fall, it loves to climb.

Any advice is welcome, as I would love it to flower

Thanks for the replies to my question. Maybe I can help in return - I am currently living in Botswana,Africa where Bougainvillea grow like dandelions do in the UK, anywhere and everywhere! They grow wild as well as very well in pots so the rootbound theory may not be correct. They flower most prolifically in the winter months here, the day temp averages 22 degrees and the night time drops to between 2 - 6 degrees, so the non flowering may be caused by you keeping it too warm? Also the advice about watering is right, it can go weeks between rain shower here and yet all the wild Bougainvilleas still flower fantastically, hence the reason I've fallen in love with them and would love to grow some on my return to the UK.

• Bourganvillea (bourganvillea)
    Milky
  • Bougainvillea and Romeo's mum
    Terry60
  • Bougainvillea in Mdina, Malta.
    Shirley_tulip
  • Bougainvillea with Jacaranda in the background - a section of The Arbour - Southbank Parklands, Brisbane, Australia
    Bernieh