Plum Tree.....

Valencia & Tenerife, Spain Es

My plum tree, which fruited well this year, has many "sticky" patches on the trunk and a big sticky mass at the bottom of the trunk. Does anyone know what is causing this, and a possible solution.

Looks like the tree has been damaged by an animal, the sap is bleeding out. Wrap the trunk with a piece of hessian, grease outside with vaseline.

Thanks Doctorbob. I donĀ“t know anything about fruit trees so excuse my ignorance - when you say animal, do you mean some kind of bug? We are in Spain so have loads of ants & midges. Whereabouts do I put the hessian band and how wide should it be?

Wind the hessian over the marks as you would a bandage on a wound. It would be a big animal, here it could be deer, we know you are in Spain. Alternatively has someone damaged the tree when working near by.

Thanks DB, we had a Spanish guy go over the orchard with his tractor in June this year, do you think that could that have caused the problem?

Yes Gwen, you may well have solved the problem it sounds very likely this could be the cause.

Thanks again DB

• Fruit Trees..
  • Calamondin orange
  • Blossom close~up Nectarine............
  • Ornamental Japanese Apricot, Prunus mume,'Beni-Chidori' (flight of the red Plovers) (Prunus mume 'Beni-Chidori')