Gloucestershire, United Kingdom Gb

Can someone tell me IF & when the best time to take to take cuttings from clematis - one that is in flower at the moment.
It is a large flower type.

If you find a new shoot that has no flowers on it, then you may use that. There are several methods of taking cuttings. I use the nodal system, it works better for me than the internodal. Use the section that is less floppy. Push into the side of a pot filled with gritty compost, You can do it now or wait a couple of weeks.

Thank you 2ndhand, I will have a go.
I am a bit of a novice at taking cuttings!! When you say nodal - is that the little budded bits on the jointed stems? If so - should I cut between those?

I would put come cutting or seed compost on the ground, or in a pot and just bend a stem down so it touches the ground. Put a stone on the stem to hold it down and leave it ... It should root like a runner. then you can sever it from the parent plant, dig it up and replant it.

Thank you all for suggestions. Last year brought no success!, maybe try again this year!

• The President
  • Favorite clematis  (Clematis 'Josephine')
  • Miss Bateman
  • Close-up of pergola and Clematis armandii