Late frosts

Davefc

By Davefc

Taunton Somerset, United Kingdom Gb

Hi
I live in Somerset and I am just wondering if anyone would say its safe yet to start planting out yet or is there still a chance of more frost ? I know it sounds silly but ive been watching all the forcasts and although it seems like we had our English summer last week the temperature does not seem to be falling below 8 degrees at night. I have read several books but none seem to be able to agree when is safe.

Answers

I know Dave your hands are itching to be out there planting. But there really is no advantage in planting early. I would suggest to wait. When the ground is warmer and the weather too, things will grow faster anyway. You could take the test yourself and plant just a few things, hope for the best, or protect them overnight and plant the same kinds a few weeks later. See which one will be first to flower! Also, if you are an early planter and others near you are not, there's a chance all grubs will find your plants and nothing is left of them. They can smell seedlings miles away. If you have a fireplace or woodfire, keep some of your charcoal or ashes, scatter them underneath the seedlings. Slugs hate them, charcoal is too coarse and sore for their slimy bodies. Happy gardening and hope your summer garden will go without a hitch.

Thanks Marguerite,
That's answered my wonderings as well!

I live in Berkshire and I wait until mid May before reckoning it is safe to plant out frost tender things and then only if we are having a settled spell of warm weather. Hope this helpsr

I'd have said mid may as i'm in yorkshire and wait till june. one yr planted out salvias during the school 1/2 term and we had 3 frosts over the bankholiday weekend. :o(

Hi near-neighbour! I have started planting out - we are in a mild area of the UK, aren't we - and I am keeping my fingers crossed, but hope all will be well. I've planted 4 Osteospermum out so far.

I've seen several new pots out in people's gardens in the last couple of weeks, so I'm not alone in my optimism. Yes, it's a risk, but all gardening is a risk - we could have a hailstorm in July!

Margeurite, sorry, but it is not recommended to put coals or coal soot onto the garden. I can't remember why, but I know wood ash is good for the garden, but coal is not.

Broken eggshells are another method of deterring slugs. See my blog on further recommendations on dealing with molluscs if interested.