By Teapot

I have been asked to prune back hard a large shrub , at least 4mths high they say it is a pittosporum large areas have got brown leaves but looks like new growth is appearing lower down is it advisable to do now or at any time , to large for where it is planted , thanks ricky

If large areas have twiggy leafless stems and growth lower down i'd be inclined to prune down to those leafy areas, but let's wait and see what others say because my treatment is always on the tougher rather than cautious side !

I agree with Louise again. Round here and in the Scillies, pittosporum is sometimes used for shelter hedging and is pruned hard as necessary. I'd go for pruning now rather than later so the bush has time to get growing and toughened up before the next winter.

Thanks Louise1 thanks Beattie, that hard prune now is what il try, thanks again ricky