I have a dry border under a birch tree which is reasonable loam and sandy. During the spring it grows bulbs well but once they have died, there are no flowers.
What can I plant which will survive and look ornamental and not disturb my spring display?

One or two of the tougher perennial geraniums might survive there - if you try them I would mix some gel crystals with the soil down at root level. This worked for me in a very dry shaded border.

Or try some ferns. If they are the herbaceous types then their fronds won't have grown whilst the bulbs are doing their thing.

Cyclamen Coum like to grow under trees too and naturalise there nicely. I think you made need to give them a sprinkle of water every now and again, as I do with mine under a Hazel tree in very dry shade. The marbled leaves linger quite a long time after most bulb leaves are OTT.