By Ricky

antrim, United Kingdom Gb

grapevines in polytunnel something small either eating or breaking off the small grapes the grapes are only the size of a pin head or are they just falling off themselves anyone know anything about this problem

How come the polytunnel? Maybe you are further north? Grapes fruit and ripen well outside where I live in Essex. Do they have enough water? If not....that may be the reason. If in a greenhouse, the root is usually outside.

the grapeswill just drop of and probably for the reasen dorjac sais as its perticulerly dry and you havea polytunnel . grapesare nearly all water so they need lots ofwater .

I have two grapes in my first polyt. I have to water them virtually daily, as like a lot of polyt's, the polythene was buried in a trench all around, even though it is on a slope, the water cannot run under the polythene.

its a pity you cant inventa guttersystem on polytunnels that gets recycled back inside them .

There are ways to collect it, but I can't convince the OM that it would work.

it seams such a waste 2ndhand .

HI NP. it would mean drilling through the thick metal hoops or (in the case of the latest polyt) the scaffold poles, doing this on both would mean drilling through the polythene and he thinks, probably correctly to put holes in the polythene would make it more likely to tear in the high winds we have at our location. so altho a shame, he's probably right.

porobably would rip . i was thinking of some kind of gutter at the bottom running into somewear with a bilge pump to put it in barrels .

No such luck, as we're on the top of a hill, there's rock about 1' below the soil. Only dynamite would successfully create a hole large enough for a container to be able to pump out of. But I will think of sommat soon.

ok mate .