By Aphro

We have just bought a new build house with a small brook at the bottom of the garden. The builders have stripped the edge of weeds, I would like to plant some suitable attractive plants HELP There are some large trees which we hope to have thinned and topped.

What kind of trees, Aphro? It's easier to garden under some kinds than under others. Also, if the builders just scalped the area, various perennial weed will probably be coming back up, and will need to be dealt with.

Yellow flag iris which is a British native, and there is also a nice blue one that likes its feet in water, Iris spuria. Marsh marigold, water forget me not, various primulas, sedges, marsh mallow, orange balsam (impatiens noli tangere) These are all British wildflowers that thrive in moist ground and will look after themselves if you want a naturalised look.

Oops! I misunderstood! I was thinking of the edge of the garden, not the edge of the brook! Kudos to Steragram!