The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

By Hicky

Cumbria, United Kingdom Gb

My neighbour has this tree growing in front of my wall, I would like to identify it please, as in time it could possibly obstruct my light ? Pictures attached, at the moment it is approx 2.5 metres tall, and has small black fruit/berry on a 2-3" stalk coming from the leaf.
I was wondering how tall and wide this would become if my neighbour did not trim it.Thank you

079 080



It looks like a Pittospurmum and can get to a large tree if left alone.

26 Jun, 2010


Did you mean Pittosporum Cinderella, if you did then the leaves aren't as dark and glossy as pittosporum leaves.

26 Jun, 2010


It looks like a Bird Cherry to me, Prunus somethingorother. If so it will grow into a tree, probably several centimeters tall.

26 Jun, 2010


Yes I did Pip, sorry, I knew it didnt seem right. My friend has one that is a largish tree and it looks the same, but it has little black flowers on it. Sorry if I have thrown a spanner in the works. Lol

26 Jun, 2010


I 'think' Bulba means several metres tall! Hicky I take it the tree is not planted on your land?

26 Jun, 2010


Whats a few centimeters/meters between friends. Yes, of course I meant meters, sorry :-)

26 Jun, 2010


Thank you for your quick replies.
Have looked up both the species that you all mentioned, and am sure it it the bird cherry tree- prunus padus,it had creamy white flowers on it in late spring.
Do not think it will grow too high/wide to block the light, so will just enjoy watching the birds visiting it !

26 Jun, 2010


A deciduous tree is not so bad. We need trees, but often have smallish gardens. It is a shame that trees can cause so much concern between neighbours. Our neighbours have a lovely old Magnolia which blocks our light. On the other side of our garden we have a Hawthorn which rains down bits of spent blossom. It is bird heaven and sparrows refuge. We block our own light with it, but its worth it.

27 Jun, 2010

How do I say thanks?

Answer question


Not found an answer?