By Leemark

Cheshire, United Kingdom Gb

We have been very happy with 2 "Miss Bateman" clematis that are in the same bed,and growing up trellis work.Both had flourished and reached the top,with bud,s
abundant.Both have plenty of new growth thickening up at the bottom.
However,sadly,one has now wilted and died from about half-way up and all the top once healthy growth has now died.
We can not understand what has happened,there are no broken stem,s in evidence and no obvious sign,s of damage.
What could have happened?also are we now looking at loosing the full plant?
Yours bewildered Tom & Bren (Warrington)

Could be clematis wilt, in which case all wilted stems should be removed as soon as possible, usually back to the base, which is often enough to stop it spreading.

I sympathise - my 'Miss Bateman' has done the same. She had buds on, ready to flower. and the next day she flopped. I've cut her right back to base, as Bamboo suggested to you. This happened to C. 'Vyyan Pennell' last year, and she's back again now - so there is hope.