By Great

London, United Kingdom Gb

My peony that I planted the yr before last has its first bud. A very tiny bud but a bud none the least. Something has eaten a circular hole in it!!!! Who could have made it??

slugs/snails are the main culprits at this time of year. it may continue to grow and flower.

Thanks SBG Im so diappointed. I have waited so long for it to flower. Guess I'll have to wait and see

but on the bright side, now that it has started to flower it will keep on doing so year on year.

This is true x

Hi Great i think you might find something somewhere that says that peonies don't want the crown covered with too much soil. Our garden help slung a load of compost on my Bowl of Beauty peony and it went on strike, after blooming really well, you could check that out

Hello Dorjac I have just put a mulch of compost on it!!! better go and pull it back. Thanks for that!

• Peony (PaeonyPaconiaceae)
  • peony
  • Peonies - White
  • Peony Baroness Schroeder(I think!!??!) (Paeonia lactiflora (Peony))