Hydrangea fails to flower

West Lothian, United Kingdom Gb

I have a hydrangea in a tub (not sure which species) which looks very healthy but fails to flower - I had one flower last year. I prune it in early spring. Is the problem because it is in a large tub? Should it be planted in the garden?

On plant Hydrangea

When you prune it are you cutting the whole stem out? all you need to do is cut back to the nearest healthy set of buds, and perhaps,if it is getting too congested cut one or two stems right out each year, in rotation. Your hydrangea should be ok in a large tub, but remember they needs lots of water.

Hi, my pot hydrangeas flower very well, as do my garden ones, could you put yours in a smaller pot perhaps, to make it panic and flower, instead of growing foliage? Do take cuttings in spring and they should flower too.

• Hydrangea petiolaris (Hydrangea petiolaris (Climbing Hydrangea))
  • Woodland border with addition of new blue hydrangea (Hydrangea macrophylla (Hortensia))
  • Holding on to Summer (Hydrangea petiolaris (Climbing Hydrangea))
  • Hydrangea 'Pink Jewel' (Hydrangea paniculata (Hydrangea))