Propagation

cjpg

By Cjpg

I brought some seeds back from Northern Cyprus three years ago. I have tried every year to try and propagate them, but have failed miserably. The seeds are from a strong scented bush with lovely white flowers. Have I got any chance at all of growing anything from these seeds?

Answers

Oh dear....it all depends. Some seeds need real hot fires to open ( like some Australian Eucalypt species for instance ), some need soaking, some need to dry and rest for a while. It all depends what they are and what soil they grew in. And even if you had all that all right, it might not like the climate. Did it grow in an open, sunny spot? Is Cyprus a dry place perhaps, dry and arid, like some Greek islands? It might not like the British rains. There are many factors which determine the success of propagating seeds. Do you know the name or do you have a photo of it?

I think that the plant you are describing is a Cistus (Rock Rose). It can be grown from seed in the UK but I believe that it is not easy.
Yes, Marquerite, Cyprus is very much like the Greek Islands but possibly even dryer and hotter. It is a very nice place to visit with lots of wonderful wild flowers.

OK Bulbaholic, I think it will be on my wishing list. I remember now, my mother has been on Cyprus and yes, she said it was lovely. Probably just as dry as Oz is....

Unfortunately, I haven't got any photos of the bush. :-(
Even if I could get one seedling out of the seeds I'd be happy!

I know the feeling, Cjpg. I like collecting seed when we are away and it is great when they grow.

This is the one and only time I've brought seeds back. My profile picture is one of the bush in question. I haven't a clue what it is though.