How can I protect my pumkins from slugs?

By Samba

Lancashire, United Kingdom Gb

I have some pumpkins growing in the garden and have spotted a couple of slugs over the last couple of days attemting to eat my pumpins, I keep looking and picking them away when I spot them. I don't particularly want to spend a fortune on slug pellets and so I was hoping there may be a natural was of stopping the slugs. Would straw/hay be something to look into?

On plant Pumpkin F1 Becky

Sand, grit or crushed egg-shells in a wide circles around your pumpkins hopefully will act as a barrier to stop the blighters coming close.

Thanks Cherylrp, I had another kind person also suggest grit so I will try that. I also got barley straw and I assume it will keep them warm and perhaps also help keep some slugs off the plot.

Good luck

well I'm still finding slugs on the straw, so thats not keeping them away, still need to get the grit but for now I'm out slug hunting every morning and evening.

• Heligan Harvest
  • pumpkin from Summer (Cucurbita pepo (Courgette))
  • Happy Halloween
  • To be carved... or not to be carved?