My grape vine is fantastic this year

By Pammie

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom Gb

The vine is outside and has so many bunches on it [ and good size ] I have now started to snip the very small grapes to allow the others to grow bigger.We must of course cover soon to stop the birds from having " a feast " They should be ready on our holiday return in September.
How do other people cover their grapes? Last year we secured ours with Fleece secured well all round.

Bird netting is the answer. We did our whole vineyard with them. You can buy it at your local hardware or nursery. Good luck. If you look after it, you can use it every year again.

Marquerite........Thanks for answering about my grapevine.Lots of grapes but wont be making any wine ..not enough.Seems you can with your Australia

Pammie, yes we used to have that vineyard and make wine and sell it commercially. We had 2400 vines, thus a lot of bird netting and designed a device on the tractor so we could spread them out over the vines. Quite a job too. I don't know if you have wine or table grapes there, they are entirely different. But you also can eat the wine grapes, as we always did whilst picking, lol.

• Grapes! (Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea')
  • Grapes ripening  ...
  • My balcony grapes
  • Grapevine  pic  2