Are quinces grafted? What do with my 'dead' quince tree?

Maine et Loire, France Fr

A named variety of quince tree we were growing 'died' during the winter. I've just noticed there is a lot of growth coming from the base now. Should I leave this? I've looked to see if it was grafted and it's not obvious that it is. Are quince tree varieties normally grafted? Strangely we've several seed grown quince trees which survived the winter fine, though it's highly unlikely they will ever give us any good fruit.

On plant Cydonia oblonga

Answers

Bertiefox, you more or less answered your own question. As you said seedlings will more than likely not produce any fruit, and if they do, these might not be quinces as they should be. I am almost positive all deciduous fruittrees are grafted and you should see a slight bulge about 30 - 40 cm from the base where the graft was made. Now if you have new shoots coming from the base I would take them away, as these are what I would call suckers. You have to keep the proper leader going. How are you so sure the tree has died, I am not so sure about that, as otherwise these shoots will not appear, meaning the roots are still alive.
How old is your tree? Has it produced quinces before? I think a good prune would do the trick, although it is the wrong season. Summer pruning is only done in healthy fruittrees with abundant foliage, just to let sunlight into the tree so as to ripen the fruit.
I have just googled for: how to care for quince trees and I get a whole page of sites to explore. Now you are in France I believe, so perhaps you type in French if you prefer reading in that language, or otherwise go to the English google. Good luck and happy reading.

Marguerite, Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure from what you say that all the growth above the graft is dead as there's been so sign of any buds since the spring. We've had quite a few grafted trees die on us, but usually apricots and peaches, but there is usually growth from the roots from the rootstock. I suspect we will just need to buy a new quince tree and treat it more carefully, though I could try grafting something on to my seedling quinces I guess.
Why is it that the things we like most won't grow in the type of soil or climate we have? In the UK I spent all my time trying to grow melons which wouldn't ever ripen, and now we are in France and melons grow well, I am fed up I can no longer grow raspberries and loganberries successfully!!

That's life, Bertie, I'm afraid - you pay your money and you make your choice and you can't have everything;-)

Very true. Bertiefox, it is man's destiny to want something he can't have and when he has it he wants something different. I sympathise with you. I am the same, lol. I wanted to live in the tropics again, which we have done now for 4.5 years. I was thrilled with all the plants and lush vegetation, but now I like a change, as it grows and grows and grows with all the humidity and warmth and you are forever pruning, cutting, tidying etc. I love the tropical fruit trees though and they are so easy to grow here.
Thumb of rule: never attempt to have fruit trees, leave it to the experts and buy them in the shops, lol. Unless you have a grower's background, it's best to stick to flowers and plants. Fruittrees are temperamental, they need pruning, fertilising, soil conditioning, TLC and keeping the birds outof them. Unless you are prepared for failures, I would just buy them, at least you know you won't get a grub in them and they haven't been sprayed as off lately, they are put through the market controllers and come from reliable sources.
Happy gardening Bertiefox.

You are right, Marguerite. But I think all gardeners struggle to achieve the (virtually) impossible. I envy you your tropical garden, but we do succeed with edible passion fruit here (under cover). I've once fruited guavas, not that they tasted that good ripening in cold conditions. Paw Paws always die during the winter. My Feijoa hasn't set fruit despite lots of flowers, neither has my pomegranate. But one day I will get one fruit and think it was all worth it!
Anyway, I must get back to planting leeks. They grow well here at least like most other essential vegetables, though I'd guess you'd struggle with them in the tropics!

• Close up of Quince Blossom (Cydonia) (Cydonia oblonga (Cognassier (arbuste/arbre)))
    Cottagekaren
  • Blossom on the Quince in a planter. (Cydonia oblonga (Cognassier (arbuste/arbre)))
    Cottagekaren