Growing Lobellia Cardinalis

By Meanie

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom Gb

Having moved house last year I stupidly gave away my juvenile plants.So,as sods law dictates, I lost almost all my matured stock over the winter.
Have a real love of growing these from seed, so I always let a few seed pods develope.However, I bought several other varieties last year & am now worried that the seeds that I've collected may be cross pollenated. Is this something that I need to worry about, or is it not an issue?

By other varieties, do you mean species or just different form of Lobelia cardinalis?

Other species of Lobelia are unlikely to cross with it, however green leaved forms of Lobelia cardinalis will definately cross with purple leaved forms of Lobelia cardinalis as they are the same species, just leaf colour variants of it.

Hope this helps.

Exactly the answer that I didn't want!
Trip to the garden centre this weekend then.
I've been led to believe 2 things about L.Cardinalis Queen Victoria;
1-They have a life span of about 3 to 4 years........&
2-The green leaved varieties are hardier.

Is there any truth in either of these?

Yes lol!

yes to both.
this often happens to me too. i thought it was only me.

It is always exciting to see if you have a new colour with the cross pollinating.

• Lobelia - Fan Deep Rose (Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal flower))
  • Patio containers
  • lovely labelia