The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

Project "Raspberry Taming"


By pamsco


The weather has been so rotten for weeks here, I haven’t had time to deal with my raspberries.

When we moved in there was a giant tangle of raspberries – the fruit was just past their best but some tasty treats could be found.

This was the late summer bed

I thinned out the old canes leaving new canes which I took the growing tip off as they were about 7 foot.

Sadly, though I believe not unexpectedly they developed rust a few of weeks ago. There has been so much rain!

I’m attending a horticulture class at the moment and the chap teaching recommended I strip the infected leaves so the rust doesn’t get into the soil for overwintering.

SO finally this weekend I stripped the rusted leaves and finally staked the canes out in the style that Monty Don shows in one of his books.

I ended up removing some more canes that looked a bit thin.

Here’s what I have now

Given the ridiculously strong winds that have swept through this week I’m surprised any are still standing. Hopefully this method will be strong. I’ll take photos over the months and add them here.


More blog posts by pamsco

Previous post: The threat on my front garden

Next post: Discovering my garden: Winter



That's a good job done there.
I have to do mine sometime aswell.

15 Nov, 2010


Looks really good Pamsco!

15 Nov, 2010


Good job done Pamsco, I don't grow any fruit, but I love raspberries.

15 Nov, 2010


thanks all. There are 2 types here, one very sweet and the other very big. Fingers crossed they fruit!

15 Nov, 2010


I hope the big ones are sweet aswell :o)

16 Nov, 2010

Add a comment

Featured on

Recent posts by pamsco

Members who like this blog

  • Gardening with friends since
    5 May, 2010

  • Gardening with friends since
    8 Aug, 2010

  • Gardening with friends since
    9 Aug, 2009