Bamboo shooting up all over my lawn

By Tim441

Somerset, United Kingdom Gb

My neighbours have a lot of well established bamboo along our boundary - which is around 30m long.

Inevitably they are shooting right across our lawn.

any ideas?

Again it comes down you say anything? Perhaps they have bamboo coming up in places they don't want it growing and you could talk about that? Are you friendly or less so? If you want to keep the peace perhaps just keep mowing!

I did have a word... they seem very happy with it!

In a perfect world i might let it grow a few inches... spray it so that it dies back... without killing their plants... or my grass! But i suspect there may be no such product?

Considering digging a trench and putting in some barrier (what?) to stop roots coming through.... and digging up my garden or killing grass and bamboo to rid it .. and reseed. But big task!

Poor you what a nightmare.
If you look up Bamboo Rhizome Barrier or Root barriers
Control roots of trees and bamboo to prevent problems, there seems to be choices of barriers.
Once put in place I still think you may have to treat, dig out and returf your lawn? But at least with a good barrier you are in control.

unless you do the hard work of digging a trench and putting in a barrier, it will only get worse unfortuately :-(

thats why i bought a clumping bambo as no issue with this in my garden or anyone elses!

some are terribly invasive. poor u!

thanks to you all for the comments. looks like no easy answers!

Sadly I dont think there is. Just a lot of hard work to get rid and stop the spread.

« How long do redwoods take to sprout?