By Jenfren

Herefordshire, United Kingdom Gb

We have a raised fish pond with koi carp in on our patio, As it tends to look a bit utilitarian and the pump and filter are ugly, I am trying to soften it with plants. They need to go in pots either next to the pool or standing on the walls. So far we have a fatsia and a small palm. They need to give shade to the pool so something spready would be good, hardy if poss.,but could take in in winter . Any ideas would be welcome, I have in mind a sort of jungley effect. Its quite sheltered but sunny or at least would be !

Any form of grass or bamboo would suit...maybe a spreading juniper in a pot

Are you keen on Gentiana ?

If its sheltered how about a japanese acer......palmatum dissectum, going with the bamboo would begin to bring a japanese feel

We,ve koi too......they fascinate me.....

Woops I didnt mean putting Gentians by the pond, it was just your unusual name.

Of course, the ultimate plants to have around your koi pond would be Bonsai. You can pick up some good bargains from ebay.

Thanks, some good ideas (did wonder about gentians). Are bonsai hardy ? I guess they must be if the large trees are. Think a might go for bamboo for height and look into bonsai as I had not thought of that