In the past 6 years I have lost 5 prunus trees. Why?

Kent, United Kingdom Gb

We have personally lost 5 mature trees (30 yrs old).I have noticed that our neighbours in our close have also suffered. A beautiful prunus in the close has died over winter this year. Always the tree has no sign of disease beforehand and then in the spring when it should bud, it remains without any sign of life. Is there a disease going around which affects prunus trees? It cannot be just the cold for we have had many winters which have been MUCH colder.

Hello David, welcome to GOY.
Silver leaf disease could be the cause of the trouble. It seems very advanced in your close. There is no cure for it in your conditions. It will take all of the trees. In June you can see the silver on the leaves.

could also be honey fungus. see if there is a white mushroom smelling layer under the bark. if yes it will be honey fungus.

Apparantly, cherry trees only live for 30 years, sadly. I read this in a gardening book, which I've just taken back to the library. But someone else had this problem just a few weeks ago and I gave the name of the book to the person who asked it. Try entering cherry tree in the search box and see if it comes up.

• Prunus incisa - Snow showers (Prunus incisa)
  • Sunset behind the Poplar
  • From tiny acorns mighty oak trees grow
  • Donadea Forest