The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

Can i Cure my honeysuckle, the leaves have fungus ?

United Kingdom Gb

The leaves on my honeysuckle have like a mouldy residue on them and then they are falling off, is there anything i can do?



Sounds to me like 'sooty mould'. This is caused by the secretions of honeydew made by aphids. Small droplets accumulate on the leaves beneath the feeding site of the pests, and this may form a varnish-like coating on the surface.Various non-pathogenic fungi then grow on the contaminated surfaces and produce sooty deposits of fungal spores.
If possible spray or sponge leaves with a mild solution of washing up liquid. This should break up the mould and probably make the aphids cough a bit as well.

29 May, 2009


Or, less kind to the environment, spray with a combined fungicide/pesticide like Roseclear.

29 May, 2009


Thanks for your response I have tried the washing up liquid on friday but still the same will try spray today. If not I will try rose clear and let you know.

1 Jun, 2009

How do I say thanks?

Answer question


Not found an answer?