Our patio is tiled and weeds grow along the joins.

By Mervyn

New Zealand Nz

When the tiles were laid sand was brushed between the joins. Now weeds and moss are growing between the tiles. What can I put along the joins to stop the weeds? You have been very helpful with your answers to my questions. Thanks

First I would clean up. In a watering can put some chlorine ( if using powdered, mix with water according to directions ). Brush to spread evenly. Leave for 30 mins at least, but longer if possible. Then hose off. All mold will be gone. Spray with round up on moss and weeds. It will take a couple of weeks, but they will rot away eventually, then sweep away.

As with most paving, it seems there was no geotextile membrane laid underneath, so weed growth between the cracks will be a problem every Spring. Suggest you buy some Pathclear or other make of Path Weed Control and water it onto the cracks every spring, following the directions on packs to the letter.

I put down a new patio a couple of years back and despite using a membrane under the patio i still get weeds. Rather than growing from under the patio they seed themselves in the cracks.
I am not one to be defeated by a few weeds so every year as soon the new growth starts appearing and the weather dries up a bit i go over the cracks with a weed killer, it sure beats getting down on your hands and knees to pull the stuff out. I've tried a couple of different products but to be honest I've found Roundup works the best as it kills right down to the root so the whole weed, from root to tip just shrivels up and dies.
I've also found it a good idea to repeat the process at the end of the summer.
Good luck Mervyn!!

« its taking over my garden