By Evecole

Can Japanese knotweed cause an infection?

What, in humans? No more than any other plant if you stab or cut yourself on it and don't clean it properly.

The UK company Japanese Knotweed Eradication Ltd website has some pretty graphic pictures and descriptions of skin burns and other problems and advise that the plant must only be handled with protective clothing.

Not sure about infection but according to them, serious and long -term skin damage is possible.

Inverglen I've just visited the website and horrific picture is of burns from Giant Hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) which is well known to cause skin damage. So far as I am aware Japanese Knotweed does not do so.

Whoops ! Thank you

I've found that knotweed is considered a delicacy in some parts while researching on my clump of the dreaded stuff!

No problem Inverglen. Hum Magna think I'll give it a miss thank you :-)

Likewise Mg! Mg, did u see my latest blog, think you will like the hedge update lol.......

Sorry Magna have very limited time for GoY these days and often don't get to the blogs.