By Redkite

Gwynedd, United Kingdom Gb

Hi. I am new to this webpage. I am a novice gardener. I have some Erisymum Bowles Mauve. I believe they are a wallflower and should be grown in light gritty soil. Mine are doing well in heavy clay soil. Are they likely to die off in the winter in this type of soil. If so could anybody suggest how I can keep them alive?

If they are happy now, my guess would be that they will survive ok. If I am wrong, I am sure someone else will advise you. Welcome to GOY, and good luck!

They're very easy to propagate from cuttings. Now is a good time.

Perennial Wallflowers I grow mine in clay to, but I find they need replacing after 3-4 years. I take cuttings to replace any I lose or are very woody. Dead head and they will keep flowering from early spring.

They will come back next year, all being well. They are perennials but can be short lived perennials, so to speak and do not last forever. My neighbour has one that has been going for years and years and mine did very well for one year and then died off but I was especially unlucky. A few years is normal. They recommend taking cuttings so that you have a new plant or two when this eventually happens.

Thank you to all of you. I think i'm really going to enjoy this site. Unfortunately it will always be me asking the questions and never having the knowledge to answer them so I hope this will be alright?

You will, you know! Because you'll keep asking the questions!

« ID Please, Thanks