Would this Agapanthus benefit from repotting?

It is presently in a 12" diameter clay pot which it has been in for about four years. Every July it flowers beautifully but only for about three weeks. Later in the season it then goes on to produce attractive seedheads which also look so pleasing on my patio. I am wondering what would be the effect of repotting it up into a slightly larger sized pot? Would it result in a better (longer) period of flowering? I don't wish to multiply my stock of it as my garden is a patio only and I don't have room for more than one plant. I just want to get the most out of this one that I can. The variety is 'Africanus'. Any advice much appreciated.

well i have been told that they perform much better when pot bound and prefer it i think it is entirely up to you they are lovely flowers, i hope this helps

An elderly neighbour has had hers in an old stone sink for over 40 years - they love being pot-(or sink) bound. lol.

Conjested it certianly is. The root system must feel like a tightly clenched fist. Might still flower when I am 83! It has been a good patio plant for me. Takes only a tiny amount of space, yet gives so much. Kindest regards.

Well she is 92 - so you have a way to go to catch up with her!

On the TV report from Chelsea Flower Show yesterday there was an agapanthus grower who said they love to be pot-bound.

Got there before me Readejahn! I saw that too and was amazed at just how tight a ball the roots were in. The plant obviously liked it!

• Agapanthus or African Lily
  • Agapanthus (Agapanthus africanus (African blue lily))
  • garden_2010_194.jpg
  • Agapanthus