Why have my bluebells turned white?

By 120938

I have been given Bluebells from three friends but the flowers have all turned white.Why is this.They were blue in my friends garden.

On plant Hyacinthoides non-scripta (Bluebell)

Are they producing healthy white bluebells or do you mean that they started blue and then changed to white? I have English bluebells that are white in my garden, and also pink ones! If it's a disease, sorry, no idea.

They have changed from blue to white.

Were they already in flower when your friends gave you the plants? If so, it may be that the flowers have simply died off as a result of the shock of being moved. If the flowers are healthy, however, then it's a mystery!

I think you will have to wait until next year now and see what happens. Sorry I don't have the answer. By the way, if you want to buy Bluebells, you do know to buy them 'in the green' and not from bulbs, do you? They are like snowdrops, you get a much higher success rate doing that!

They were still green when I planted them and I have had them about four years always white .But they look really healthy flowers.

Very odd. Maybe they had a shock or saw a ghost....LOL. Sorry I have no more (sensible) ideas. I reckon - just enjoy!

I heard once that in some plants the color of the flowers has to do with the acidity or composition of the soil...maybe it's that way for bluebells? Just a thought!

I suspect some cross polination's gone on. I don't know where they came from but I had lots of bluebells some mauve some white as well as blue of cause. I went to a lot of trouble to dig 'en all up and replace them with ENGLISH bluebells. They're not as prolific but much nicer. On official forms today you have to say you're born in the UK, you can't say you're English so as a thoroughbred Englishman I like to be able to say ENGLISH Bluebells.!! OK so I'm bias. Lol

• blue bells (hyacinthoides non-scripta)
  • Hyacinthoides non-scripta  At last my Bluebells are starting to flower (Hyacinthoides non-scripta - Bluebells)
  • English bluebells - for Jacque! (Hyacinthoides non-scripta (Bluebell))
  • Pale blue bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta (Bluebell))