By Harli

Washington, United States Us

Is there such a thing as a wild poppy, or does it have another name. Thank you.

Looks like Meconopsis cambrica or Welsh Poppy to me and it certainly grows wild here in Somerset.

This looks identical to Wood Poppy or Celandine Poppy, Stylophorum diphyllum. It's a native perennial wildflower here in the USA, but it's found mainly in the northeastern US. I found a small colony in my back woods and how have hundreds of them in my yard from seed I've scattered. There may be a different name since you're located in the far west. Did you find this, or buy it?

It is not as good a plant ,by the look of it ,as a good Welsh poppy, the leaves don't seem quite right ,so I would think it is the American plant.

It is definately in the genus Meconopsis (can tell by the structure of the flower), but not M. cambrica. It is probably one of your native wild flowers, Harli, and yes - poppies certainly do grow wild and they are still called poppies!

Yes looking again the leaves aren't quite the same

• North Shropshire
  • Corn Poppies  (from blog) (corn poppies)
  • Papaver Orientale........Victoria Louise (Papaver orientale (Oriental poppy))
  • Papaver orientale 'Doubloon' (Papaver orientale (Oriental poppy))