How hard back can I cut a philadelphius

By Mageth

sussex, United Kingdom Gb

I have a philadelphius about 6x6 thats getting swamped by an escapee honeysuckle from next door. I cannot access the honeysuckle til I cut back the bush underneath. I want to reduce it by about 2 feet, will it regrow from old wood

Yes, it will, Mageth - obviously you will lose some of this year's flowers.

...or wait until it has flowered, then prune it hard! Not too long to wait - mine flowers in June!

I agree, Spritz - that way you'll get the benifit of the honeysuckle too, if it's an early one like 'Belgica'.

yes it flowers on new wood, i had to cut mine hard back when new fence went in so no flowers last year hoping for lots this year, smells gorgeous

thanks all. Hubby has made an excecutive decision. we will leave it until the autumn as the sparrows are using it as a roost. Guess that means no flowers next year. The honeysuckle has nothing to commend it, hardly any scent and poor looking flowers

the leaves are turning yellow »