Climbing Hydrangea "Petiolaris" not flowering

By Motinot

down, Ireland Ie

I planted this hydrangea about 6 years ago, it looses its leaves every winter...then each spring it bursts back into life...very healthy and glossy.....alas not one flower..ever...please what am i doing wrong????

On plant Hydrangea

Probably nothing. My neighbour had the same problem for about 5 years and then suddenly it was covered in blossom each year and has been ever since. I wonder if this plant is like that .

These can actually take a few years to get going. Definitely a case of patience being a virtue.

Have you got it in acid soil? and it prefers shade too.

It certainly looks very healthy. You could try feeding it with Iron sequestrine (sp.?) or tomorite or a general liquid feeder. That might encourage it to flower for you.

Thank you all for taking the time to help.... I will def do as you say... my soil is acid and it is planted in a dappled shaded area.....I thought i was being patient....6 years seems a long time to well.. perhaps one of these years ill get a lovely surprise...thanks again...

do you prune it? if you do you are probably cutting the flowers out. Mine took 5 yrs before it flowered.

Hi seaburngirl, no i have never pruned fact i have never done anything to it... perhaps a feed as suggested would do the trick....thanks....

There is a feed you can buy which encourages flowers. Hang on, I'll get back to you!

Right, you want high potash, eg tomato feed or Sulphate of Potash, which encourages flowers (and fruit). It needs to be done spring time, so now would be good! Good luck! Let us know if it works!

Thanks a lot craftcutter, i shall sort that tomorrow.....this site is great...thanks again

• Hydrangea petiolaris (Hydrangea petiolaris (Climbing Hydrangea))
  • Woodland border with addition of new blue hydrangea (Hydrangea macrophylla (Hortensia))
  • Holding on to Summer (Hydrangea petiolaris (Climbing Hydrangea))
  • Hydrangea 'Pink Jewel' (Hydrangea paniculata (Hydrangea))