By Tosh

Essex, United Kingdom Gb

I'm finding it hard to find a peaony or paeony or peony or ....whatever.... Not all garden centers have them .... or am I looking in the wrong places?

Tosh, I'm not very qualified on this, but if I've not found something I urgently wanted, I've sometimes discovered it's because I am hunting at the wrong time of year. Peonies are not yet in flower in the UK, more May/June I believe (depending on weather) so certainly the larger garden centres will not have them, or be displaying them just yet.
They are beautiful, but be aware that after you plant them they could possibly "sulk" for a while before flowering in their new home. Hate being moved!

Somebody mentioned that to me the other day Weeding, so, thanks, I'll heed the warning.......and the advice. Ta!

The trick with herbaceous paeonies is not to plant them too deeply as this is what inhibits flowering. I moved twelve paeonies the autumn before last and nine of them bloomed last year so they can keep flowering after replanting

We were in half a dozen Garden centres yesterday and I would say that all of them had Paeonies for sale. Mind if you want something sprecial you do need to go to a specialist. Try Claire Ausstin in Shawbury near Shrewsbury.

Apparantly, I read on the internet somewhere, that peonies are not very profitable. This is becoz Nurseries try to sell them with only 2 or 3 nodules and they really need at least 4 or 5 to flower well.

The other problem, is that they can take a few years to flower. This is often why you will not see many peonies for sale.

I would recommend searching the internet for a specialist Peony nursery. That way you will get the one you want. There are many varieties to choose from. Ie single head, double head, etc etc.

Happy hunting.

Ps also, germinating can take 2 or 3 years too!

Wow! Thanks chaps/chapesses - you've given me lots to get on with and to think about. I shall start the search afresh!

« can I plant these bulbs in a container?