I have a shrub which has oval shaped leaves with reddish v shaped markings on them and very thin spikes with very tiny red bulb like growths all the way down. Please could someone help me identify this shrub

Erm, would be better if you posted a photograph... are you sure its a shrub and not a perennial?

Sounds like a type of Persicaria like Red Dragon. Or there is a green version too. Any chance of a photo?

It does sound like Persicaria - but that's not a shrub.

would like to send picture but printer is not very well. I have looked up Persicaria and it looks very much like Persicaris Virginia 'painter's palette' except that the leaves are not mottled green/white mine has just plain green with red 'V'. Thank you both very much for your help.

You don't need a printer to upload a photo to GOY.

Volunteer's right - you just need a digital format picture loaded into your computer, resized to make it a bit smaller and then upload it here.