Was it a scorpion?

This afternoon I was listening to GQT . There was an item on keeping parts of the garden as a habitat for insects and other creatures. A few minutes later while sweeping up leaves from my terrace to put on a different part of the garden for that purpose I came across a black insect about three quarters on an inch long which looked like a small scorpion. It had the erect curled tail and there were tiny white spots on the tip of the tail. I put it amongst the leaves. Unfortunately I didn't manage to photograph it. What was it? I live in Marlborough Wilts, just downthe road from Avebury whrer the programme was taking place. It was shiny black.

Susannah McKim.

Maybe, I heard years ago that there are scorpions that live in Portsmouth harbour wall.

But I think it's more likely to be a devils coach horse beetle. Google it for images to compare, or follow the link

They have been seen in Wiltshire Susannah read this..

theres also a whip scorpion which is harmless as the sting is replaced bye a long thin tale plus peoples pets escape . a good friend of mine had about a 6` iguana and lived in a sleepy little village . anyway he lost it oneday . he found it later when an elderly lady was out the front screaming at this dinosaur basking on the hot black tarmac lol .