Advice on plum tree

Angus, Scotland, United Kingdom Gb

We have a small garden in a row of terraced houses. My husband has just arrived home with a Victoria Plum tree - states it grows to 4m after 10 years. The furthest away from any house we can plant it is around 2m. My mother-in-law told us that roots would be a problem. Does anyone have any advice or warnings before we commit ourselves and plant the tree? I'm worried that the roots will cause problems.
Ailie Bisgrove

Hi Ailie ~ your mother-in-law is right 2m is far too close to the house for a tree of that size (MM106) if it was (M27) you would just about get away with it.Plum tree will seek out moisture so it's the pipe work running from the house that is at risk as well as foundations.

Thanks, that's what I thought but didn't want to dismiss the tree without checking it out first. Guess we'll be buying victoria plums from the supermarket for a while yet!

• Close Up Of Blossom
  • Ornamental Plum
  • Oranmental Plum Blossom
  • Wild Plums for  Shirleys Plum Cake