West Yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

Hi what is the best way to take firethorn cuttings and when, and how much space do you leave between each cutting when replanting into the ground

Hi Oldcrock ..
I shall be interested in the answers to this ;o)

Ok..Pull up a chair Terratoonie and sit comfortably.

First things first I love the name Firethorn, it is not used enough.

Sadly you are too late Oldcrock to to do it this year so next july take 3/4 inch cuttings of new growth..the current years growth. Bung them in to a free draining cutting compost , add a little sand works better. Try to keep them at about 60 f. Pot them up when they have good roots in a 3inch pot then over winter them in a cold frame. still with me....?

In the next April pot them up again in 5 inch pots and plunge them in an outdoor bed.......Then in October plant them in the place you want them to grow permanently.

Thanks Pimpernel ...
Useful advice :o)))

Firethorns , Pyracantha are absolutely stunning this year.

Yes, I have several pyracanthas, each with different colour berries.

I can never decide which colour is my favourite TT, I wonder how the birds decide?

Maybe the birds choose by taste and well as colour ;o)

Hi Pimpernel, that is interesting in what you have said, I spoke to a gardener and he said october will be ideal to take cuttings cheers

October is the best time to plant them out, the best time for taking cuttings is July to August. But with a plant like pyracantha there is no harm in trying I guess. If they don't take you can always take some in July.

Cheers for that Pimpernel

Why not try layering? Bend a low branch to the ground, cut a small slit in it and bury that part in the soil. Peg it down and wait until next year. Eventually it should root and can then be separated from the parent. You won't get as many plants as with a lot of cuttings but it is easier and the new plants are bigger.

Hi Steragram, thank you for your suggestion cheers

good luck with that then!

• My back garden today. 29th April. 2010.
  • Under my garden arch
  • The President
  • Scented Lilac under my garden arch ... mingled with Clematis