east yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

Which Salvia is this please?

A kind Goyer sent me mixed salvia seed that I grew this spring and 2 look that this.
my questions are which one is it?
and is it fully hardy or will it need winter protection?

29.9.11_002 29.9.11_004

I'd say that's S. patens, possibly 'Blue Angel'. 'Cambridge Blue' is lighter in colour.'

would it come true from seed? it is a stunning colour and such a big flower 1" long .

ta Spritz. it should still be in flower at the weekend :o)

If it is S. patens, it will need to be kept frost free over the winter

I grow this too just love the colour, does sometimes survive the winter but not often although I did have a few emerge even after last winter!!!!! I grow fresh from collected seed each year and yes it does come true, it makes a tuber like a dahlia that can be dug up and stored in exactly the same way, never tried it myself.

hmm i will have to get myself some of them .lovely

ark enough to be S.patens "Oxford Blue"

thanks for your suggestions. I think it was from you simbad, so that is good to know. I will keep them in the greenhouse this winter i think.

After I'd added my response wondered if I'd sent you them SBG :-), hope you got a few other interesting ones :-)

there might be Simbad aas there are 4 more plants , two diferent foliage forms :o)
I'll be asking for id's for them too if they flower this year :o).