I have a newly planted young Jacaranda Tree which has lost just about all of its leaves. Is this normal for the winter or is it dead?

I live in Mesa AZ and I had a tree service plant the tree about three weeks ago. The tree is roughly 7 to 8 ft tall.

On plant Jacaranda mimosifolia

Answers

Completely normal if you live in a cold region. Even here in the tropics I see them as being semi dormant and I have seen them deciduous in colder regions. Wait till spring which is soon and tiny buds should appear. Flowers come before the leaves. I don't know your region. If it has only just been planted, it sure has to get used to its new environment. Planting always sets back a tree, but it should have been planted when it was dormant, without leaves.

• Old Jacaranda,Coral street,nr Margaret's (Jacaranda mimosifolia (Brazil Rosewood))
    Tetrarch
  • Jacaranda flowers (Jacaranda mimosifolia)
    Shirleypoppy
  • Jacaranda mimosifolia - Jacaranda Tree Flowers (Jacaranda mimosifolia - Jacaranda Tree)
    Delonix1
  • Jacaranda mimosifolia - Jacaranda Tree (Jacaranda mimosifolia - Jacaranda Tree)
    Delonix1