Hi there,I moved into this house with a honeysuckle which is at leat 20yrs old

By Jludlow

Hi there,

I moved into this house with a honeysuckle which is at leat 20yrs old. It's trailing along one our fences with lots of woody stems underneath it. It quite massive and it started to fall off the fence. I'm afraid I cut back quite a lot of it including the new shoots on top of the wood tangle, to the main stem/base. I now think i've gone to far and might have killed it or something. Can someone help by let me know if I really did the wrong thing or whether it will grow back again. Many thanks, Jeorgia

Sam_1630 Sam_1632 Sam_1633

I chopped my old honeysuckle right back to the ground a few weeks ago as it was very woody, the leaves were all grey and mottled and the flowers were deformed. It is now sprouting new growth everywhere and it looks really healthy.

You can prune honeysuckle back as hard as you like and it will regrow - it is a tough as old boots!

Thank you Moon growe & sheilar. Yuo both really put me out of my misery. Have a nice week. J

• My back garden today. 29th April. 2010.
  • Under my garden arch
  • The President
  • Scented Lilac under my garden arch ... mingled with Clematis