what sort of soil does Drimys lanceolata like? just planting 2 up in rough ground with little top soil. Is it like rhoddies? or will chicken pellets/ home compost/manure do better? Thanks

By Alif

Argyll, Scotland Sco

Mine is in neutral soil - I planted it two years ago in compost + chicken manure pellets! It seems to be thriving and growing well. Good luck with yours. :-)

It originates from woodland type settings so plenty of leaf mould will encourage strong roots. my RHS book says it will tolerate sun or partial shade but it doesnt like drying winds. hope thiis helps.

Yes, mine is sheltered and in partial shade. Thanks for the reminder, Sbg - I should have said that!.

hope you dont think i was correcting you Spritzhenry, i dont grow it I was just researching it as I'd not heard of it before. looks a stunning shrub.

Of course not, Sbg! I was pleased that you added your comment - I was in a hurry getting ready to dash off to church and answered Ali's question too briefly. :-)

thanks guys. glad I asked as I have loads of shade but was preparing a hole in a sunny patch that needed cheering up. Time for a re-think