By Amundy

Gloucestershire, United Kingdom Gb

Can anyone help me identify this very attractive plant growing on my allotment? It's growing among the raspberries (maybe because I didn't hoe that bed this year), 3ft high (competing with the rasps?), and a feathery feel to the flowers. The early seeds are round and mid-green.

Dscf2304 Dscf2307

Phacelia grown as a green manure.

Common name is scorpion weed. it took me months to find out what it was when it appeared in my garden. I love the way the flowers unroll, like fern fronds.

Thank you. There seem to be various kinds of scorpion weed and this I think is the lacy one, hopefully not rash-producing; so far I've been OK.
It's the first time I've seen the plant, so have no idea where it came from. I shall definitely collect the seed.

I've never had any sort of rash from.

Mine has sown its own seed. I haven't had a rash either - it must be a different sort from the nasty one.

That is the risk when using common names, more than one plant can be called 'scorpion weed'.