On mostly roses, all I have is the stems and a bit of a stump on the end. The leaves came through looking like they do on the photo. I have taken the leaves off and again they have come through looking the same. I have also sprayed. There has been similar problems with shrubs.

What area and country are you in? And are these plants in the ground, or in pots?

It looks suspiciously like damage from weed killers, especially glyphosphate (RoundUp). It may have been sprayed--by yourself or a neighbor--on a windy day, catching some of the landscape plants in an unintended mist. Or, it may have been sprayed too heavily in the root area of the plants, contaminating the soil.

If it is glyphosphate poisoning, a cm or so of good compost, watered in well, will help to detox the soil and the rose to recover faster.

Hi Rosemary, you've said you're in Worcester and the plants are in the ground. Re the comments above from Tugbrethil, is it possible that weedkiller contamination might have taken place?

When I first saw the picture, I was afraid that it was rose rosette disease, but to the best of my knowledge, that virus only affects roses.