North Humberside, United Kingdom Gb

Dutch Iris?

I planted lots of these a few weeks ago, a few of them have flowered but the rest have just made lots of leaves, does anyone know why please?

Dutch iris should be planted in autumn ready for flowering the following spring, so if you were that late planting them, you're lucky that any of them flowered.

OK thanks Bamboo. Do I leave them in the ground over winter and will they flower next year?

Yes, should do - but make sure wherever you leave them doesn't get waterlogged in winter, they prefer drier situations.

I've planted some of these every autumn for the last 3 years and this is the first year I've had any flowers from them. They prefer sun, but some are in shade - the shade ones have taken 3 years to flower, a few of the ones in sun have taken 2 years, others have yet to flower. I hope yours decide to flower for you next year Anitamay.

Definitely make some good drainage. In spite of the "Dutch" name, they are bred from species from Spain and North Africa.

Thanks to all for your replies. What a good site this is!