By Fitzroy

can I plant a hibiscus in my garden in the west midlands or is uk weather too cold, as they are on sale & are very striking flowers

Yes they are lovely and you should have no problem

I planted three last year and they are all in leaf. I'm hoping for flowers....
Yours should be fine - as long as they're not the non-hardy sort sold as pot plants for indoors.

Died of cold here in this part of the very West Midlands, and that was in an ordinary Winter, not the last 2 bad ones. It depends on where your garden is. Ours is a very rural frost pocket. Town, south facing sheltered sites should be ok.

It would very much depend on which Hibiscus you have in mind. They range from pretty hardy to very tender.

Which of the three in the links below is closest to what you have in mind?

I had three ...supposedly hardy ones...and lost two in the first year..Like Owdboggy, these were bought and planted prior to the two bad winters. I am in the West Midlands. Although my garden is south facing, it is quite exposed and has frost pockets.

I have one surviving which is now in leaf and looks fine. I put it in a pot last winter...and kept it in the greenhouse. It's pot luck!...:-))

Great shots, Meanie :-)

• Hibiscus 'L'Oiseau Bleu' (Hibiscus syriacus 'Oiseau Bleu')
  • Hibiscus
  • Hibiscus
  • Lavatera "Mallow Tree"