By Cazoo1

Worcestershire, United Kingdom Gb

Hi...Today we went out to lunch and sat next to this wonderful shrub. I have attached a photo can anyone identify it. The stems were of an arching nature with the white /green bell like flowers hanging under the stem,it was glorious!!

Solomon's Seal. Polygonatum x hybridum.

And not a shrub, but an herbaceous perennial.

Thank you both so much..this is one I will try to find. Thanks again

Hello, yes its a lovely perennial, but normally as the season progreses you will find that all the foliage will be completely eaten away, this is caused by the solomon seal sawfly, you will notice many grey like caterpillers munching away at the foliage, it does not kill the plant and always comes back the following year, to control this pest you can spray with bugkiller or pick them off by hand, dont let this put you off buying them but just be aware, julien.

Touch wood or bow to Hubris whichever, we have not suffered with this particular bug, so far.

One of my favourite perennials. I have 2 varieties, love them. Mine have been devoured by saw fly in the past, you can pick them off if you are patient enough. So far this year mine are fine.

Interesting about the saw fly...I don't think it will put me off if I can find one...but thanks for making me aware.

No Caz, dont let saw fly put you off, well worth having and if you're lucky you might never get them.

what is a cosmos »