By Gee19

Kent, United Kingdom Gb

I hope this question doesn't get deleted as 'non-gardening' as it affects my garden. I have just installed two new water butts and both have come with huge sticky labels on them which I am having trouble removing. Has anyone any ideas how best to do this? The outer part of the label came off easily enough but has left a very sticky backing paper which I just cannot shift. Very unsightly.

Hallo Gee - have you tried nail varnish remover? My husband uses acetone, which I think is the same (or similar).

Methylated spirits on a cloth or thinners,

Thanks for those suggestions, Spritz & Jiffy. I don't have any nail varnish remover but I know a granddaughter who has! I think I might have some meths in the shed - just off to check it out. Thanks again.

try it on a bit out of view in case it affects the plastic-- there is a product called 'sticky stuff remover'-- but you'd have to read the instructions

Sticky StuffRemover is wonderful - and a little bottle lasts for ages. I wouldn't be without it.

some sticky labels come off with a squirt of wd40