Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border, England Eng

What do I do with the green shoot on my Phalaenopsis,do I try to put it into the growing medium or leave it outside the pot.

On plant Phalaenopsis

No it is an areal root and you don't need to do anything to it.

Hi home bird, it's as moon growe said, mine have lots of these roots, I guess in the wild it's what the plant uses to cling onto the tree bark with, as they hang from trees in the wild.

Hi Homebird - Hope this helps.

Many orchids produce aerial roots outside the pot, this is due to how they grow in the wild, on trees with their roots exposed to the moist atmosphere. If an orchid such as a Phalaenopsis makes lots of aerial roots it is a sign that the plant is happy in its environment and the roots should be sprayed regularly. Healthy roots have a grey covering and often green growing tips at the ends. If the roots turn brown and die it is a sign that the environment may be too dry for the plant. On the other side, it can also mean that the roots inside the pot have rotted if the plant has been overwatered. Check the state of the pot roots to monitor the watering.
Healthy roots = healthy plant!

Thank you Mg, Tc. Your info is very helpful I was afraid I might kill it if I just guessed. You have saved it's life as I would have guessed wrong...:o)

Tony I appreciate your advice and information about these plants. Will remember.....Healthy roots = healthy plant. Thank you.

• orchid1.jpg (Phalaenopsis)
  • Phal is looking so good now. (Phalaenopsis)
  • Phalaenopsis orchid (Phalaenopsis orchid)
  • Anniversary Pressie......  (Phalaenopsis violacea)