will a privet hedge ever recover from being cut back by at least half it's width and splits to the roots

I have cut ours back by 2/3rd before and it has always recovered.

Just remember to keep the top smaller than the bottom, or the bottom will go bare.

thats where I went wrong [embarrassed smile]

Slim people have no idea how hard it can be to buy pants!

: }

It's hard to find small size jean's to fit these days

Shows that I didn't think of potential problems the other way....Sorry, Jiffy! : /

I did just realize something more on topic: what did you mean by splits to the roots, Abeslass?

Cut a privet back as far as you wish. It will rejuvenate quickly and look better then ever. I have done it on an old hedge which the previous owner offered to pull out with a tractor.

Thank you all for your advice, the division and splits to the roots are being caused by the NFH neighbour who has employed a contractor to rip down most of a mature dividing hedge that has been in since the house was built in 1938 without any consultation whatsoever!! We are seeking advice on the legalities of the action but the damage has already been done.

If you can, I would make clean cuts below the splits to reduce the chances of disease entering. Privets around here aren't very long lived, and we wind up replacing them every 20 years, anyway. If yours are longer lived, there, the chances are that they will just sprout right back and make a new hedge in a few years. If they are entering a tottering old age, though, sprouting is chancy.

« any idea what this tree is pls ?