By Maleny

Somerset, United Kingdom Gb

How do I make the best compost with leaves

Most gardeners keep their leaves separate and compost down in a wire cage or something similar. Leaf mould is the black gold of gardening.

Very easily, Maleny. The easiest way is just to heap them in a corner and leave them. Of course, they will blow alll over the garden if you do this so they need some sort of cage. The best is a cage made up of four fence posts and wrapped in strong chicken wire. The leaves are stored inthis, exposed to the wind and the rain, for one or two years and allowed to rot down on their own. We are sucessfully using the large bulk bags that Builders Merchants now supply sand in to replace the wire cage.We also use hessian sacks for the same purpose. Some people use plastic sacks but I don't like this as they don't absorb the rain.

Ah!'ve given me an idea then, Bulbaholic! I've been using plastic sacks for years...the leaves take forever to decompose but have bulk bags still lying around somewhere from some building work. Thank you for that!

Gardeners world last night did an item on this subject and showed how to make a wire cage. I do mine in plastic sacks with great success, I think its all to do with making sure they stay cold to rot down properly. I have been known to apologise to the sacks as I put carpet over the compost in winter lol.

• Behind the greenhouse
  • Multipurpose Compost
  • A garden flower photo
  • Compost bins with willow and pond