Hampshire, United Kingdom Gb

I have been offered some chippings for the garden which are from freshly cut connifer trees. If I use this this to cover my borders will I be damaging the quality of my soil?

I'd use them on paths but not on soil where you want to grow anything.

Un-rotted clippings will steal nitrogen from the soil which will starve the plants. Best to compost the stuff for at least 6 months, preferably a year.

I think wood from conifers contains substances that inhibit growth of other plants. I don't know if they'd persist in the compost or whether they would be broken down in the decomposition process.

Fresh conifer chippings are great for paths because they stop the weeds. I would not use them on growing beds though.

I agree paths not borders, too much risk of killing your plants.

I us them on the paths, then when the paths need a top up, some of the old (and by now rotted) chips get thrown onto the borders. No problem about toxins in them when rotted. Phil